History

A Proud History

The Bolling Haxall House is the club’s most visible connection with the community. Today, the historic headquarters is open to visitors and serves as a regular venue for weddings, receptions and meetings. Its protection and preservation is one of the Club’s top priorities.

1894 Club founded with 14 members at 11 West Main Street
1900 Members purchased the Bolling Haxall House at 211 East Franklin Street
1915 Auditorium added to accommodate rapidly increasing membership
1921 Education Endowment Fund founded to provide scholarships
1964 Parking lot purchased
1969 Club celebrated 75th year anniversary
1971 House became a Virginia Historic Landmark
1971 First public event for special screening of Civilisation series
1972 House placed on the National Register of Historic Places
1983 Concert Ballet of Virginia begins performing at the Bolling Haxall House
1985 Members and advisors created comprehensive master plan for preservation of Bolling Haxall House and launched first capital campaign to finance restoration
1990 Members founded Bolling Haxall House Foundation to qualify for tax-deductible gifts to preserve the House
1994 Club celebrated 100th year anniversary
2008 Foundation launched Restore a Living Landmark Campaign to raise funds for major structural repairs to House and auditorium